international insurance for non-profit work:
WHY We recommend The BUPA Short-Term “WORRY-FREE” Travel Insurance (incl. both Medical And Evacuation Coverage)
- This BUPA international insurance for non-profit volunteers and NGO workers includes both unlimited medical and unlimited evacuation coverage – With NO deductibles and NO co-insurance. (Can purchase from anywhere in the world – Not available to U.S. and Canadian residents.)
- We especially like that ALL nations and even war zones are eligible under this plan (There may be an additional charge/fee based on destination) for those working in high-risk areas, including international and national crises, famine relief, peacemaking and reconciliation, and medical clinics in remote areas.
- This plan features 100% coverage for emergency treatment(s) and for medical evacuation, and you can choose your own doctors/hospital(s).
- They have a free 24-hour Emergency Service (see brochure).
- BUPA pays hospital bills directly, worldwide, so you do not have to be reimbursed – A nice benefit!
- We like that it has an additional non-medical and trip cancellation option if you need it.
- Includes “complications of pregnancy” up to the 36th week of pregnancy – Another good plan for maternity is Azimuth
Please be aware that BUPA no longer offers plans to U.S. or Canadian residents traveling overseas. This plan does insure non-U.S. and non-Canadian residents traveling anywhere in the world, including to the USA or Canada.
More on the BUPA’s international insurance for non-profit workers and volunteers:
- You don’t need to be a student to purchase this plan. All are eligible, up to 69 years old.
- This plan covers you outside your country of residence (and is not intended as primary health insurance where you reside long-term):
- Australian citizens living in South Africa are covered throughout the world even in America, Australia, but not in South Africa.
- Indonesian citizens living in Indonesia would be covered anywhere in the world except Indonesia.
- You can choose the annual (multi-trip) travel option that covers an unlimited number of trips (up to one month per trip) for one annual/price for frequent travel.
- The single-trip option covers one trip up to a maximum of 12 months, and can easily be extended online, if you choose to stay overseas, remain in your present role/job assignment.
(Either option includes free coverage for children under the age of two)
- Available helpful non-medical options for overseas workers/volunteers/travelers include:
- Personal accident – death and disability
- Baggage – theft, loss or damage
- Baggage delay
- Theft of passport/cash
- Personal liability – property damage
- Personal liability – bodily injury
- Travel delay
- Missed flight connection
- Hospital daily benefit
- Security and legal assistance
- Includes most dangerous sports and occupations
- The Trip Cancellation option is also available if you stand a chance of losing money on a prepaid trip (or tickets), dues to acute illness, injury or death
- See the brochure above for more details